Thursday, July 21, 2016

Summer Survival

I've lowered my standards.
And that's how I'm coping with summer anxiety.  No one ever told me about the anxiety that comes every summer as I feel pressure to make the summer memorable, fun, relaxing, but not too relaxing, and structured, but not too structured. 
I signed Marcus and Ethan up for Brain Chases, an online summer program that requires them to spend a certain amount of time reading, doing math, and practicing typing.  I decided they needed a little more education this summer after seeing them struggle this past school year.  They hate it!  But it's been good for them.  But I have been known to cheat a little bit for them.  Anything to make the whining stop!
I originally told the boys we'd have breakfast/scritpure study every morning at 8am.  They resisted.  After a few days I caved.  We do breakfast whenever I'm good and ready and if my kids sleep in after a late night of playing on the lake then so be it.  My mom would be horrified at this but since she's not here the guilt I feel is minimal.
I had big dreams of my boys spending summer days reading book after book since TV/screen time is limited.  They resisted.  I got sick of monitoring all the screen time.  Now they get paid for reading a book {I choose the book} and the faster they read it the more money they earn.  You might call this bribery.  You would be right.  But my kids are reading like crazy and they need money to pay for school clothes so this works for me. 
So you see, I've lowered my standards. 
But we're having enough fun that they aren't asking when school starts and I'm not losing my mind completely.  Just a little bit each day...
How I feel every day.  Summer is exhausting.  But in a good way.  Most of the time.

4 comments:

  1. I love this post. The struggle is real. And anyone that says it's not is just lying. Also, that picture of Parker is awesome. I might print it out and take it with me to show people that THIS is how I feel today! Can't stop laughing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! And love that picture of Parker! I was enjoying the summer until this week. Things have gone downhill quickly...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's life with kids. Once they leave you wish so badly it was back again but then other things pop up to do but it is not anything like having the kids. No matter what, Parker says it all!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?