Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Happy Pandemic Birthday, Marcus!

Marcus turned sixteen!!  Or should I say, Marcus turned sixteen and who even cares because he can't do anything so he doesn't feel too excited about it.  Poor kid.
I ventured out to find a bakery that a friend told me about so I could surprise Marcus with some amazing donuts in the morning.  While I was out, I figured I'd try to find some toilet paper since apparently it's gone if you're not at the store first thing.  A lady at the bakery tipped me off to a junky store called Big Lots so I headed there and bought the last two packages.  Score!!  By the time I got home, Marcus had already gotten up and made himself breakfast.  How depressing is that??
We ate donuts and hung out, frequently checking the news and our phones for more updates since things were just beginning to shut down.  I think we were still holding out hope for something to stay normal.  I can't remember what we even did that day but I know we finished the day off with spaghetti and meatballs--his favorite meal since the age of two.  He didn't get to open many presents because they all arrived late (even the grandparents failed this year).  Poor Marcus.  But eventually he got some clothes, a fixed screen for his cracked phone, and a fancy massage gun that feels pretty amazing after a long run or tough workout at the gym.
Marcus doesn't have his drivers license yet because the DMV is closed.  He passed the written exam with a 94% and will be one of hundreds of kids anxiously waiting for May 4th when things might start opening so he can take the drive test.  Marcus got money to take a girl out on a date and instead, he used it to take his brothers out for ice cream because we all know a date is not happening anytime soon.  Luckily we have a friend who bought a home gym set for his garage and is kind enough to let Marcus use it (by himself) every other day.  It has saved us!  So even though the world seems to have shut down, I still get to do a normal thing by driving Marcus somewhere, dropping him off, and returning to pick him up.  It's frustrating he can't drive himself but I LOVE getting out of my house.
So happy birthday, Marcus!  Sorry for a lame, pandemic birthday!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?