Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Block Island Adventure

Wow!  Sometimes I get to do awesome things,  like take a ferry to a tiny little island and spend the day exploring and I think, "Wow!  This is so much better than sitting at home doing mundane things like folding laundry or cleaning the kitchen!" Not to mention the fact that Rhode Island suddenly got so much cooler now that I've been to the quaintest, most picturesque little island a few miles off the shore called Block Island.  I've been to Martha's Vineyard and trust me, Block Island is better.  Much, much better. 
This all happened because my good friend/running buddy has a birthday a week before mine so we celebrated together by spending the day with our husbands biking around little Block Island.  I had friends watch the boys so I could enjoy a whole day of sightseeing bliss which was so great for me and so nice of my friends.  {Thanks Tami and Lindsay!}
Block Island is only ten square miles and there's a lighthouse on each end of it with beautiful beaches, farms, and quaint homes in between.  My only regret was not taking my camera so I could really get some good photos. 

Saying goodbye to the RI coast
The husbands trying to avoid seasickness on the ferry ride.  Of course Alysa and I were fine because we're tough like that.

Lighthouse #1

The lighthouse overlooks these cliffs

The last time I saw a beach this beautiful and untouched was in Okinawa

Matt and Alysa - they look like teenagers but they're actually older than us

The sand was like walking on brown sugar



Stopping to get directions

Old rock walls and weathered barns = New England at its best

Quaint little Main Street

More beautiful ocean

Lighthouse in the distance


Off in the distance is Long Island, NY

I took this picture for my boys and now they want me to paint my minivan.  I'll have to think about it.
Lighthouse Number 2

This quaint little inn with the pink adirondack chairs was called Gothic Inn.  Worst name ever.
To all our friends/house guests who have visited us in RI: I owe you my deepest apologies for not taking you to Block Island.  You're just going to have to come back again because you seriously missed out on this one!

1 comment:

Your thoughts?