Monday, September 29, 2014

The Best 80's Birthday Party There Ever Was

Surprise!  It was my birthday.  The bigger surprise:  Randy pulled off the most radical 80's themed surprise birthday party.  It was totally awesome!  Randy doesn't do anything halfway and the party was proof of that.  To keep things a secret he invited guests using his navy email account, opened up a new Amazon account, and had everything shipped to my friend's house.  I never suspected a thing!  Well, not until a few hours before the big surprise when Randy came home from work and started cleaning.  The only time Randy cleans is when people are coming over so I asked him if he invited anyone over and of course he lied and said no.  I was still suspicious and changed my clothes before leaving for Marcus's Friday night football game.  At the game, my friends barely talked to me {turns out they were worried they'd give the surprise away} and made it clear they had other things to do and left immediately after the game ended which made me feel like a total idiot for thinking there was a party for me.  Randy and I drove home in separate cars with Randy driving like a mad man to get home before me.  I pulled up to the house, not a car was in sight, and walked inside while I was texting my sister, completely unsuspecting. Everyone yelled surprise, then threw on the lights to reveal the biggest surprise of all.  It was an 80's party!  I couldn't believe it.
After I got over the initial shock and got done admiring everyone's outfits, Randy took me upstairs to change into my 80's clothes.  He bought several different outfits for me to choose from and even got me shoes in the right size.  I couldn't stop laughing! 
I can't even begin to tell you about the hours and hours Randy spent making this party unbelievable.  He thought of everything.  He decorated with 80's movie posters{Ghostbusters, Ferris Bueller, Goonies, Karate Kid, Back to the Future, Footloose} and put together an 80's playlist.  He set out sunglasses in every shade of neon you can imagine and had piles of jelly bracelets for the guests to wear.  He came up with an 80's Totally Tubular Trivia game where we watched clips of 80's movies, sitcoms, commercials, and sports, and then answered questions.  At the end of each round, any couple who got the question wrong had to slow dance in the center of the room.  It was hilarious and awkward.
Randy set the bar awfully high for all future birthday celebrations.  The guys are already scratching their heads as to how they can compare.  They can't.  My boys are thrilled to have their own disco balls in their bedrooms along with a giant Ewok cutout, enough PopRocks to last until Christmas, and a whole case of Tab soda in case they get thirsty.
Randy is The Man!
The Guys
The Girls

The Decorations

The Photo Backdrop with Ronald Reagan and Wicket the Ewok

Slow dancing with Marcus

Have you ever seen a cuter 80's cake?  Chocolate with cheesecake filling.  Thanks Rachel!

Hanging out in our 80's clothes

80's food:  Tab soda, Pop Rocks, Reese's Pieces, and Pac-Man Candy

What a nerd!

We turned down the lights for the dancing but the pics wouldn't turn out without a flash so picture a dark room with lights from the disco balls spinning around.
Rachel looks like Exercise Barbie.  Seeing her dressed like this made me so happy!





I love Tami's legwarmers!
This Air Force couple came as Top Gun.  So cool because all he did was wear what he wears to work everyday!
The winners of Totally Tubular Trivia and the proud owners of the Ronald Reagan cutout
Ethan and  his new friend


4 comments:

  1. Holy SMOKES! I still can't believe Randy didn't fly out your beloved sisters for the shinding. :) Maybe he should quit his job and become a party planner. Seriously. And that cake! It's perfect. All of it. Reminds me of one of the fancy themed parties that Rory goes to in college with Logan and all the rich kids who throw awesome parties. And please bless the chick wearing the leotard won a prize, because that was totally rad. (And brave.) Well done, Randy. Well done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is totally awesome!! Way to go Randy! Everyone's costumes were fantastic. We need to play the trivia game next time you come out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome party! What the heck?! I'm so impressed with Randy.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?