Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Brother Love

It makes me smile.
Landon is still a very intense kid {read: difficult to get along with and whatever you do, do not make him ANGRY}.  I had hoped getting him glasses would improve things but it hasn't.  Luckily he and Parker are a perfect match.  Parker is so easy going and the fact that he hardly talks only makes their relationship work better.  Parker loves to do whatever Landon is doing and they can spend hours playing together without any need for me to intervene.  It is pretty great.
I don't know why seeing my kids play together melts my heart so fast.  Probably because they can go from best buds to fighting like cats and dogs in the blink of an eye.  I know that's a normal part of growing up but it sure is frustrating.  And loud.
But one thing I think my boys are good at is protecting one another.  I always tell them that brothers look out for each other but I never knew if they really got it until the other day there were a bunch of kids playing at our house and Landon came running into the kitchen sobbing, "Mommy!  Matthew is beating up my best friend, Parker!  I told him to stop but he didn't!"
I gave Landon a big hug and smiled at how distraught he was. Landon tried his best to rescue his brother who was definitely not getting "beat up" but just in an argument with a preschooler.  Parker is lucky to have Landon on his side.
Marcus and Ethan also had a similar experience yesterday when they were playing football with the neighborhood kids.  They didn't play long because some of the kids weren't being kind to Ethan.  Marcus told them to stop and when they didn't stop, Marcus and Ethan left.  I know Marcus really wanted to play football but I'm so glad he realized it wasn't worth seeing his brother feel bad.  I love the relationship I have with each of my sisters but I'm realizing brother relationships can be extra sweet too.  My boys may not grow up gabbing on the phone with each other but they definitely have each others back and I think that's pretty cool. 
High fives as they "help" me make muffins
Don't mess with me!

3 comments:

  1. I love this, Mel! I can't tell you the number of FHE's we've had about Joseph and Hyrum Smith and the kind of brothers they were to each other (and the reason we have to repeat the lesson is because I feel like usually my boys are punching the living daylights out of each other) but then I see little things happen and realize they do have each other's back. I'm going to have them read your post today after school so they know there are other brother's out there looking out for each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have good boys, Mel! I'm so impressed with their courage to stand up for each other and be each others best friend.

    A. Kasuske

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?