Monday, February 8, 2016

Big Stuff

Marcus got braces and went to his first dance and he's growing up right before my eyes and I'm completely freaking out about it!
{And the painters were here for four long days painting our house so things have been extra chaotic around here.}
Popcorn party the night before.  No more popcorn for 2 years!  {or at least that's the plan but I'm sure he'll eat it anyway}

The 'before' picture taken at 7am so he was barely awake
So Marcus got braces for the second time.  This time it's the real deal with brackets on all his teeth and they're staying on for two years.  Poor kid.  But I had braces for three years so I'm not that sympathetic.  Especially when he got really grumpy and begged me to rip off the braces because his teeth were killing him.  I told him to suck it up.  Life is pain.  But then I felt bad for him on day 2 of braces when he got elbowed in the face at his basketball game which caused the inside of his cheek to snag on his bracket like a fish getting caught on a hook.  It was dramatic and bloody and caused a big scene.  And no, Randy was not there to help.  I ran Marcus into the bathroom to unhook his cheek while his team lost their lead in the final minutes of the game.  Marcus was devastated.  Their team isn't so great.  Marcus is the point guard, and their only "play" is to pass the ball to Marcus so he can score.  It's hilarious and pathetic all at the same time. 
forget the kids in this picture, check out the dad up on the stage!
 In other news, Marcus went to his first middle school dance.  Let me tell you, his school is fantastic!  They don't do awkward dances where the lights are turned off and the kids all awkwardly slow dance with each other with minimal parent supervision like I had growing up.  The dance is a hoe down, the whole family is invited, and the kids do the line dances and square dancing all night that they learned in gym class.  Marcus was in his element!  After seeing him dance repeatedly with the same girl I told him to ask other girls to dance.  He was happy to oblige but it still made me feel old and I'm already worried about his dating years ahead.  Very worried.  Why can't he be shy and awkward around the opposite sex the way I was?  It would make parenting so much easier!
Ummmm, do I have to put into words why this picture freaks me out?



my friends and I watching/laughing from the sidelines. 


3 comments:

  1. I can see why you are worried;-) He has always been a ladies man!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see why you are worried;-) He has always been a ladies man!!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?