Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Losing My Mind {and My Camera}

You're not seeing double.  Those are two identical cameras and sadly, I am the proud owner of both of them and that's not a good thing because those cameras are not cheap!  Here's how it all went down...
We bought a new Nikon a couple months before we left Rhode Island to replace our original broken one that I've had since Oki.  We did a lot of purging of junk in those last months of life in RI and I remember Randy and I discussing that we needed to throw away broken Nikon camera #1.  What I can't remember is what was done about it at the end of the discussion.
Fast forward a few months and I'm trying to clean the piles of clutter around the new house so we could finally get all moved in and settled.  I came across what I thought was the broken Nikon camera which I distinctly remember throwing in the trash and thinking a good mom would let her kids play around with the camera, take it apart and discover its inner workings, put it back together and from that moment a budding photographer would be born.  I shrugged my shoulders and walked away from the garbage can thinking I'm not that mother.
Well, a couple months passed.  I was heading out on an adventure with my boys and figured I'd finally take the new camera along and try to get some good shots.  The new camera was nowhere to be found.  I spent days looking for it, looking in completely random places and tearing the house apart.  The boys helped me search.  Randy helped me search.  It was gone. 
Then it hit me.  I must have mistaken the new camera for the old broken one and thrown it away in the garbage when I was cleaning!  That was the only solution.  I couldn't tell Randy the truth so I lied {yes, I am that bad} and said the camera must have gotten left somewhere.  I felt horrible!  Especially because if the roles were reversed and Randy had thrown out  a perfectly good camera I never would've let him live it down.  I told my good friend Cheryl about my plight and she found the same camera on sale at Costco.  So I bought it for myself as an early Christmas present and didn't take it out of the box until Christmas Eve in hopes that the missing camera would miraculously appear, but of course it didn't happen.
Well, last week I was searching for something in the kitchen cupboards and in a bin that appeared to be full of markers was........the missing camera!  Hooray!  I never threw away a perfectly good camera after all!  But I'm crazy enough to believe I did so there's not a lot of comfort in that.  And because I'm a lazy slob, I still have all the packaging for the replacement camera so I should be able to return it to Costco without a problem {even though part of me wants to keep it because it came with a new case and an extra lens}.
The moral to this story is I am only a few years away from the early onset of Alzheimer's disease and my husband is a very forgiving man.  Bless him!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?