Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Memorable Memorial Day


We had a great weekend until we didn't.
I'll skip over the good stuff {like my amazing 11-mile run through the woods as pictured above} and get to the bad.  Marcus was mountain biking with his friend at a nearby bike park when he crashed.  He went off a jump that had a gap in the middle but unfortunately he didn't know there was a gap in the middle and he crashed down in between the ramps, flying over his handle bars and skidding across the ground on his face.  He scraped skin off his knees, shoulders, wrists, knuckles, and his face.  His face took most of the fall.   He bit his lip as he skidded to a stop and has rows of bite marks going across his tongue.  His teeth are all in tact but hurt like he just got his braces tightened so he's hardly eating anything.  The worst part is he has a mild concussion which means he can't run in the track finals this week which is a bummer because he had to qualify to do that, and he can't play in his lacrosse tournament which he also had to try out for.  Plus, his face is nasty and oozing gunk so going to school is not happening for a few days.  Oh, and because of the craziness of life I never posted about his recent knee injury that put him on crutches for a week, and a knee brace right up until he crashed on his bike, causing him to miss a previous track meet and more lacrosse games.  Marcus doesn't do well with sitting on the sidelines but it looks like it's how he'll be ending this sports season.
Took this shot before I started cleaning him up.  He actually looks worse now with all the swelling and oozing wounds but I can't post such a gory picture on the internet.  Just know it's bad!

Pre-Scar Face
Ironically after he left to go biking I was thinking how great life was, especially to be living where we are living.  Ethan was swimming at the lake with his friend, Marcus was biking {and falling} through beautiful forest, and I was biking home from the store with Landon and Parker after our traditional sushi/donuts snack. It was a beautiful day, sunny with temps in the 70's, and the smell of fresh pine needles making me feel like I was in the mountains.  I seriously thought to myself, this is the life!  Little did I know I'd spend the next hour scrubbing dirt and rocks out of my son's face while he screamed!  Those unexpected curve balls life throws sure are fun...
But we had a great Memorial Day barbecue hosted by our friends who live on the lake.  Everyone had a great time swimming, except for Marcus of course!

Ethan paddling Parker out to the trampoline so he wouldn't get wet.  What a spoiled boy!


I love that my Japanese baby loves to eat sushi and that our sushi/donut tradition is still going strong.  We started this back in 2010

Forget the sushi, he only wanted his brother's soda

Randy spent his Memorial Day car shopping.  It was successful!


5 comments:

  1. Never a dull moment at the Ball household!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Despite it all, you live the life! Makes me want to come visit again!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH his beautiful face!!!! we need a side by side and Marcus and your dad when he did the same thing to his face!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?