Thursday, September 22, 2016

Mt. Rainier


It was Labor Day weekend and I was husbandless.  Randy went on a backpacking trip with his brothers in southern Utah so it was just me and the boys.  Naturally I decided we couldn't let Randy have all the fun and were long overdue for an adventure.  A friend told me about the Grove of the Patriarchs - a beautiful forest of trees in Mt. Rainier National Park that is as old as the Redwood trees and almost as big.  Because I grew up spending many summer vacations camping in the California Redwoods I knew I had to take my boys to see the next best thing.
I mapped it all out, picked out a few hikes, packed some food and the first aid kit {I'm so prepared, right?} and away we went in the minivan.  It was a sunny day and eventually we could see Mt. Rainier in the distance as we drove.  It was huge and majestic, with it's snowy peak towering above the clouds.  We were all in good spirits despite the GPS on my phone taking us a different route than what the computer mapped out.  I figured we'd just enter the park from another entrance and it would be no big deal.  I was so wrong!  The quick 90-minute drive was going on two hours when we passed a sign that said the wait to get into the park was an hour long.  What???  I tried not to panic while all the boys instantly started whining/crying/complaining. It was a low point.
We waited behind the line of cars and were pleasantly surprised to find that the sign lied.  We made it through the entrance in about ten minutes.  I paid the entrance fee and asked the ranger how to get to the Grove of the Patriarchs and in a very over-the-top cheerfully annoying voice she said, "That's on the other side of the park so it's an hour and a half drive.  Have a nice day!'
I wanted to throw up but kept on driving because there was no turning back.  We'd come too far!  I opened up the huge map the ranger gave me and confirmed that the she was right.  My heart sank.  But I was determined to see those dang trees so away we drove.  I think I set a new record for how fast you can drive around Mt. Rainier national park.  Turns out if you disregard the 25 MPH speed limit signs it only takes about 45 minutes.
The park was beautiful!  We flew, errrrr, I mean drove past beautiful lakes, through tunnels, over bridges, and under thick canopies of trees.  Unfortunately once we were in the park the low clouds completely covered Mt. Rainier.  It was disappointing but at least we caught glimpses of her on the drive down.
We stopped at a parking lot to use the restroom and discovered a bridge that went over a gorge of rushing, foamy water 150 feet below.  We spent a lot of time throwing rocks and sticks into the water which was fun even for me.  In fact, the boys were running around like mountain goats, happy to be free from the car when an older man passing by watched them with a smile and said, "Wish you could bottle up that energy and sell it!"  I couldn't agree more.
This long stretch of road lined with towering trees was so beautiful as we approached the park entrance

We made it! (blurry pic taken as we drove through the entrance)

Pulled over at the scenic over look to get a picture of Mt. Rainier and all we saw were clouds. 
The boys were eager to get out of the car and get their wiggles out

The bridge over the gorge

A cool tunnel

More running through nature.  Loudly.

the narrow gorge full of rushing water 150 feet below.  The pic doesn't do it justice.  It was beautiful and amazing!


Running up a warped wall like Ninja Warriors


this tree has been around for thousands of years and all those little markers on it show how big it was during certain world events

The Grove of the Patriarchs was a 1.1 mile loop.  Perfect, flat hike for kids



Heaven for boys = An unlimited supply of rocks to throw in water

This suspension bridge was a favorite
The huge roots of a fallen tree

My boys were the only kids climbing on top of these things.  I got a lot of glares from other parents. 

The leaves were so green



Tree Huggers

After the grove we hiked along this waterfall

My kid in nature
 Meanwhile, Randy was texting me pictures of his adventures...





1 comment:

  1. That really did look like the Redwoods! Beautiful! I can't believe parents were glaring at you. We LIVED on those fallen trees in the Redwoods when we were little.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?