Monday, December 12, 2016

I am a Slug

I threw my back out at the gym on Saturday morning.  It was awful.  I was crying.  And crawling on the floor so I could get to a wall to pull my sorry self up into a standing position.  I didn't have my cell phone to call for a ride so I inched my way out to the car and drove myself home as hot pain shot up my back and down my legs.  It was bad.  I laid face-down on my bad and cried as I knew my active lifestyle of running and boot camp workouts would now be replaced with yoga.  This made me cry harder.
I called a couple friends who suffer from chronic back pain and they came to my aid with ice packs, heat packs, and lots of empathy.  And I apologized to them profusely for not supporting them in their back pain.  I had no idea it could be so bad.  The pain was right up there with heavy labor contractions as I could literally feel the muscles in my back having spasms.  I will never pick up another kettle bell again.  Ever.
I've been laying on the floor with ice packs for the past two days.  I've watched more TV in the last 48 hours than I have in the past year.  It is awful!  My boys know how to help me roll over so I can shift positions and Randy helped me get dressed.  It's been kind of nice seeing my boys be so helpful though.  They will have lucky wives.
I got into a chiropractor this morning and now I'm feeling so much better.  In fact, I'm kind of in love with that man.  Thanks to him, I can bend over and almost touch my knees!  Hooray!  He taped up my back so now I look like a real athlete and the pain is only bad when I sit or drive or stand up.  Randy is doing the laundry and a friend is bringing over dinner so my mood has shifted for the positive. I just might get my life back to normal after all.
For all of you fellow back pain people, I am so sorry.  So, so sorry.  It is horrible and you have my deepest empathy.

1 comment:

  1. listen to my words! as a former(ok, mostly former) sufferer of back pain/throwing my back out, this is what I've found works. Yoga! I hate yoga but beachbody has a workout program called piyo and it's a life changer. It helped a TON with my flexibility and tight hamstrings which are huge contributers to back problems. Not to mention it made me look lean and buff after I did the he 8 week program. generally heat makes mine worse so ice ice baby!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?