Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Happy Birthday, Ethan!

Ethan turned 11!  Wahoo! 
But this post is really about guinea pigs.  His birthday will go down in the history books as the day he got his first real pet.  Yes, we've had a couple baby turtles but we just found them outside and adopted them as our own for awhile.  This time was different.  Since Ethan is a true animal lover I decided it was time to get him a pet and settled on a guinea pig for good reasons.  They are cute, cuddly, cheap, and much bigger than hamsters so although they are rodents, they don't seem like it to me.  A friend told me another perk to guinea pigs is that you can go out of town for a week and just give them some extra food and water and they're good.  So now if we go anywhere I don't have to pay someone to care for it.  Another win in my book!  What my boys really wanted was a dog but I'm no idiot.   Having a 5th baby and getting a dog at the same time is a really bad idea.
So on Ethan's birthday, we presented him with a big box containing a guinea pig cage and told him we'd take him to the pet store after school so he could pick out his guinea pig.  His excitement was unparalleled.  And I was surprised at how jealous Marcus was.  Apparently both boys have been dying for a pet.
Ethan picked out the smallest, calmest pig of the bunch and we brought him home and I still can't get over all the boy's reactions.  It was like bringing home a new baby.  They were quiet, tender, and full of awe as they held that little guinea pig.  It was really cute to see and kind of disturbing since it's just a rodent after all.  I can only imagine their joy if it was a puppy but too bad for them.  They'll be getting a brother instead!
You should've heard the giggles coming from this boy as he held it for the first time.


 Ethan's chocolate ice cream birthday cake - 4 layers of cake with cookie dough ice cream filling and Oreo topping.  Super simple and super delicious.  Pretty sure this will be the way I do birthday cakes from here on out.  Let me know if you want instructions.


 I'm getting soft in my old age because I let Ethan have a last-minute, impromptu birthday party.  He invited 5 boys over to go swimming at the YMCA followed by pizza and the Stars Wars movie.  They probably had more fun playing in the backyard so next year we'll skip all that other stuff.

Meet Dash.  The most loved guinea pig on the planet.

1 comment:

Your thoughts?