Tuesday, June 27, 2017

The School Year is Over!

Summer is here! We had our first day of summer jobs/routine yesterday and it ended with me being so grumpy I finally ate some ice cream just to cope and then put myself to bed.  Now it's 5:30am and I'm up enjoying the peace and solitude of a house full of sleeping boys while I get things done without interruption.  Being a morning person {and a very large pregnant woman that can't sleep comfortably} has its perks. 
The end of the school year was unusually calm this time around.  Typically I spend more time at the school during the last couple weeks than I do the rest of the year combined but this year was pretty mellow.  So mellow that I actually emailed teachers and asked friends if I had missed anything.  Surprisingly, I didn't. I guess the teachers decided they didn't need to invite parents to every little end of the year activity so other than a couple concerts and Ethan's promotion ceremony there's not much to report.

Ethan is now officially in middle school.  Hooray!  Boo!  I'm excited for this next big step in his life and dreading it all at the same time.  He's thrilled though so I guess that's what counts.  Every kid in the 5th grade was nominated for some type of award which they received at the promotion ceremony and Ethan was voted Most Enthusiastic.  I interpret this to mean he's the happiest kid around because he really is.  He literally skips out the door.  I think he's too old to skip but I'm not going to tell him that.  When's the last time you saw a kid skipping?  Seriously, it takes a happy person to want to skip down the street, skip into the grocery store, or skip into church.  No one does that except Bean and it's pretty endearing. 

Ethan is not happy to be one of the only kids who doesn't have a phone.  I'm mad at all his friend's moms who decided their 5th graders needed phones.  





Marcus finished off his 7th grade year without any serious injuries which is miraculous.  He received the Student Athlete of the Year award and gets his name put on a plaque in the school's trophy case.  I don't know what the criteria was for that but we are impressed.  He also broke the previous record in hurdles so that's being updated on the school website or something.  He was voted "Most Inspirational" for the second year in a row at his choir banquet which probably has little to do with his piano/singing ability but whatever.  The kids voted and he got it.  After the banquet I couldn't find Marcus anywhere until I searched the choir room and there he was, sitting at the piano, surrounded by a bunch of girls hanging on his every note.  I rolled my eyes but of course I had to take a picture.  I weep for the future. 


Landon is done with first grade and was having such a good time his teacher had to email me to let me know his behavior had gotten out of hand. That's a first for any of my kids and boy did I let him have it!  He cleaned out his desk and brought home loads of paperwork, mostly stories about Minecraft and sports that he wrote about in his spare time. 

Parker finished up his first year of preschool and now knows how to hold a pencil, color, and count {all things he should've been able to do but I'm the worst mother ever and let his teacher do the educating}.  But it makes it easy for his teacher to spot which child is most improved and that's my Parker!
Our traditional last-day-of-school rainbow pancakes for breakfast.

These boys built a fort and I even let them sleep in it because "No more school!"

Enjoying our traditional cookie dough ice cream sandwiches for a special last-day-of-school snack.  Yummy!

Playing in the backyard and doing obstacle courses late into the night because "No school tomorrow!"


Ethan getting off the bus for the last time.  {I always teach/make my boys thank the driver for the ride every day.  First, because they should and second, because it butters up the driver so he's more likely to wait for them when they sprint to the bus stop late.  According to my boys, they are the only ones on the bus who think to thank.}

Randy got off work early {Hooray for time with dad!} so we took the boys swimming at the YMCA.  These have to be the nerdiest swim goggles known to man and Parker is quite proud of them.


We finished the end of year celebrations with dinner at Red Robin.  Marcus ate his burger in about 3 seconds.  I'm glad someone in this family can finally eat more than me!

And this random picture of Randy wearing a jacket and bundled up in blankets sums up how this pregnancy has progressed.  I'm hot all the time and my feet are even swollen.  Everyone else has to bundle up while I cool off by opening all the windows if it's cool outside or cranking the AC.  Pregnancy is hard on everyone!  Three weeks left and counting...

1 comment:

  1. Mel, you're such a fun mom with fun traditions! I laughed out loud at the pic with Marcus and all the girls. We're excited for your new little one!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?