Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Not to Be Forgotten- A Sledding Adventure and the Pinewood Derby

A few things came and went and I need to post about them so when I look back on this year it won't look as horrible as it feels.  OK, horrible is a bad word.  Stressful is probably a better way to describe our lives.
Anyway, winter break came and went.  Technically it's mid-winter break just because Christmas break is now called winter break so we don't offend anyone.  Calling Christmas break winter break offends me and I'm not doing that.  So for our winter break back in February we had a whole week of not much to do.  I tried to come up with some things that would interest the boys but then Landon got sick with double ear infections and the fun was over. 
However, we did manage to go up into the mountains, a short 40-minute drive away to play in the snow and sled.  We met up with our next door neighbor and her six kids so there were plenty of kids to go around.  Luckily my friend came prepared with an extra snow suit because I had nothing for Henry but a couple of blankets.  I knew he was toasty warm because he spent most of the time sleeping on my back.

 Our mountains covered in snow are a sight to behold

Marcus helped the boys cross a log to get to an igloo.  Luckily no one fell in!

It's hard to tell but this is the igloo that was missing the roof.  Someone worked really hard on it and it was pretty cool even if it wasn't complete.

The sledding hill we had to pay to use was ok.  The rude rule-follower guy running the thing kind of took away the fun

Henry in his giant girlie snow suit.  If you could see his toes they would barely be poking out from under Marcus's arms.  But he was warm so major fist bump.

 By the end of the week we had done nothing fun so I surprised the boys with lunch at McDonald's.  They were thrilled and I took them to a newly remodeled one which has an amazing play place.  Marcus said, "Some day I'm going to come here and eat all the Big Macs I can until I almost throw up." So that was our winter break.  so much fun.


Landon competed in his first Pinewood Derby.  There were a few dads who worked really hard to make a good car and of course some that barely held up on the track.  One car was weighted with quarters on the back and they kept falling off.
This year the wood shop teacher at the middle school let us come in and cut out our cars.  Landon was excited to use a shape other than the traditional and easy wedge that Randy prefers to work with.



Landon and Parker were excited to put on their aprons to paint the car



 Landon won first place fore his age group and 2nd over all.  He and Randy were quite proud!
The stickers were a big deal.  I keep trying to tell the boys they don't even need to paint their cars but they want them to look awesome. 

I think this was the 7th car Randy has had to build.  Every year he spends way too much time on it and every year he says "Next year I'm letting the boy do all the work!"  But as they get older the boys help more and more.  I'm just happy to be uninvolved!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?