Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Just Me and the Little Boys

The last few weeks of summer were a little different this year.  Randy was gone for a week at scout camp with Marcus and Ethan, and then they spent an extended Labor Day weekend with Randy's family in Southern Utah.  This meant I lost my babysitters but I got to spend a lot of quality time with my little boys.  It was pretty awesome spending time with boys who think it's a treat to hang out with mom instead of a punishment or obligation.  Plus, they like going on little adventures which is something my older boys have outgrown.  It made me remember why I love parenting younger kids even if it takes a lot more patience.

We took a quick ferry ride over to Whidbey Island, a place I've never been to and a place the big boys never wanted to go.  We drove across the little island to explore Fort Casey, a military fort that was built in the late 1800's to protect the Puget Sound and is now a boy's paradise.  I put Henry in the backpack so I could climb up and down the ladders and steep stairways as I tried not to think about how one wrong step would lead to serious injury or death.  That's why it's a boy's paradise!
There were huge cannon-type guns and tunnels, and dark stairwells that we had to use a flashlight to explore.  We could've stayed all day but I wanted to explore the beach too.  We definitely need to go back again.

Ferry rides are so fun, especially when the sun is out!

Driving onto the ferry is always cool too

Fort Casey and some pretty cool kites flying



These stairs were steep and dark
I told Landon next time we come here we are bringing the Nerf guns!

And I just found out they do a "haunted" Fort Casey in October.  I can't imagine how scary that would be since this place is even scary during the day.

This fort is HUGE and you can't see any of it from the ocean side, making it the perfect defense.  It's incredible!

My boys were in heaven!

Standing next to these huge guns made me realize just how big and terrifying they could be



The Puget Sound


Henry loves throwing rocks (no surprise there) so he could've stayed there all day
On our way home we stopped at a farm known for it's pies.  Naturally we tried some slices which reconfirmed what I already knew:  I like cream pies a whole lot more than fruit pies.  Although the salted caramel apple pie was pretty tasty.

Another adventure took us into Seattle to the Pacific Science Center.  We pretty much had the place to ourselves so we were able to do so much.  I hate museums and even I had fun!


Could there be anything cooler than naked mole rats?

The butterfly room was impressive


snakes and babies do not go together

Hurricane simulator where the wind got up to 80 mph.  I think the whole museum could hear them laughing.



So awkward.  So fun.


Our reflection gave us the giggles

The boys earned free tickets to Wild Waves.  It's a water park with rides and if I never go back again that would be great.  Spending a hot day pushing Henry around in the stroller while my boys swam and went on kiddie rides was definitely an act of love.

I missed my boys coming down but here are our neighbors.  I wanted to jump in so badly!


See that mass of humanity at the kids section?  I couldn't even put Henry down for fear of him being trampled.
Well now I'm a little more caught up on summer stuff.  I still need to share about Marcus's awesome eagle project and my latest skin cancer surgery.  The scar is going to be HUGE! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?