Friday, September 21, 2018

Skin Cancer Take 2 {Gory Pics Included)

I had another run in with skin cancer.  Thankfully this second round wasn't as traumatic as the first time.  I've had a little round spot on my arm for years because I remember asking Randy to look at it back when we lived in Rhode Island.  He didn't think it was anything to worry about.  Since my last skin cancer episode, I've been going to the dermatologist every three months for full body scans so he can look over anything that might be suspicious.  He had seen the spot a couple times, looked at it through a magnifying glass and everything, and called it some name and said not to worry about it. 

That little pink circle is the skin cancer that no one thought was skin cancer
 Luckily I followed my instincts at my last appointment and insisted he biopsy it anyway.  It turned out that this little spot was basal cell carcinoma.  The skin cancer on my face was squamous cell carcinoma.  The doctor marked up my arm, numbed me up with a ton of lidocaine, handed me the all-too-familiar grounding plate, and began cutting and cauterizing away.  It brought back a lot of bad memories but I was just so thankful it wasn't on my face!

He cut such a big hole and then had to pull the skin super tight so the skin feels all bunched up at the ends and stretched thin where the cancer was
5 cm long and it looks almost that bad one month later



My arm got so swollen but you can also see the huge indentation where the cancer used to be.  I shouldn't have spent my post-surgery evening helping with Marcus's eagle project.  It made for a slow recovery.  It also didn't help that Henry pulled off most of the steri-strips the very next day.  He was not my favorite child that day :)

2 comments:

  1. Oy vey. NO MORE CANCER!!! I'm so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mel!!! Holy hole is your arm! Good thing you got it!!! Cancer is the WORST!!! But you look great!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?