Monday, July 13, 2020

4th of July COVID Style

We had a great 4th of July, mostly because the sun finally came out. I invited a few families over to BBQ with us and convinced Randy we didn’t need to spend the day doing yard work to prepare for the big party. Instead, we went on a family bike ride across the 520 bridge into Seattle, a bucket list item I’ve had for awhile now. It’s no small feat getting a family of seven on bikes but we did it in record time. We started to pile into our two cars when Randy stopped everything, insisting we have a very patriotic flag ceremony to start the holiday off right. I grumbled, unbuckled Henry from his car seat and rolled my eyes with Marcus while Randy taught Landon and Parker how to carefully unfold the flag. Little did I know I was in for a treat. Randy serenaded us with his very passionate and patriotic solo performance of the National Anthem. I laughed to tears. It was like a missing scene from National Lampoon’s Summer Vacation with Chevy Chase. It was worth it.


After our patriotic morning, we finally made it to the bridge in Bellevue. It’s a 3-mile ride across to Seattle with beautiful views the entire way. Once we reached the other side we rode into the arboretum to explore the gardens. We stopped for a pit stop and quickly realized that our large caravan of 7 people without masks was not welcome. So we decided to head back pretty quick before causing a scene. Naturally the end of this mandatory family fun ended with a trip to McDonalds because that not only ensures my boys’cooperation but ends things on a positive note. I wonder if they will ever outgrow their love for McDonalds food?  So far there is no end in sight and yes, I weep for their future wives.

Henry, my trusty sidekick with the 520 bridge in the background




After we got home a few of us hit the lake for a quick ride on the paddle boards while Marcus swam and then it was home to prep for the barbecue. I think we had about 30 people there including the lonely missionaries who haven’t left their apartment or talked to anyone in days. They were thrilled to be with us! Here are a few pictures of the night starting with another flag ceremony, this time with Whitney Houston singing the National Anthem. I think our friends took it very seriously and I’m not sure why. I still thought the whole thing was hilarious and I was slightly relieved Randy didn’t dress up in his scout uniform for old times sake.










Water balloon volleyball for the win


We had to do our own firework show this year.  It wasn’t nearly as awesome as the firework show above our house, and a huge reminder that COVID continues to affect our lives in unexpected ways. It’s against the law to do any fireworks in Sammamish with a $1000 fine but Randy was willing to take the risk and searched high and low for these fireworks. It was a long day and we collapsed into bed with complete exhaustion. The perfect ending to a great day. God bless America!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?