Thursday, September 11, 2014

Soccer, Soccer and Flag Footbal

Soccer season is in full swing around these parts.  I couldn't put it off any longer and finally signed Landon up for soccer.  He's only five years old but he's been ready to play since he was two. He gets a smile on his face just thinking about playing and puts his new cleats and shin guards on several times a day so he can go outside and "practice."  Other parents actually applauded him when he scored a goal at the first practice and the coach always has Landon demonstrate the drill to show the other kids how it's done.  It's impressive even if he wasn't my kid.
Ethan is playing soccer but can't decide if he really likes it.  He refuses to get too excited about anything Marcus does so we're still trying to figure out what his "thing" is.  In the meantime he provides plenty of comic relief for his teammates both on and off the field and couldn't care less about the score.
Marcus has broken tradition this year and is playing flag football.  He is still passionate about soccer but at his age any kid with skills/interest in soccer has stopped playing on the rec teams and plays on travel teams.  Unfortunately the travel teams play most of their games on Sunday and none of the coaches will honor our request to let Marcus play on the team even if he can't play in all the games.  It makes me so mad!  So now we are doing flag football.  Marcus is on a team with three of his buddies from church and the three dads are coaching the team.   We have suddenly become big football fans and I love it.  Football is such a great sport because there's a little something for everyone.  If you want to be the star of the show you can be the quarter back.  If you can't catch a ball to save your life then play defense.  It's great and I support it wholeheartedly.  My glory days were playing flag football at BYU so I love that I get to relive them now as I cheer from the sidelines.  Randy made me leave the field at the first game because I couldn't keep my mouth shut.   Next year I think I might have to coach.   

Friday nights=football so we ordered pizza and made a night of it with our friends



No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?