Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Washington DC

I obviously have no problem pulling my boys out of school so we could go on another trip.  We had planned this trip months ago so we could attend my cousin's wedding reception and Randy decided since we would be there why not throw a job interview into the mix.  This trip was packed full with friends. We met up with two different families from our Okinawa days whom we haven't seen since leaving the island.  It was so much fun to catch up and see our kids playing together.  Sadly, the kids hardly remember each other but the great thing about military kids is they adapt to anything and waste no time making friends.  When we weren't touring DC we spent our time hanging out at Cheryl and David's home.  Cheryl was my best friend/roomie all through college and man, do we still have a lot of fun together!  She has more bikes, Legos, Nerf guns, and boy toys than anyone I know.  If it were up to my kids we would have never left her house and if it were up to me we would be next door neighbors for forever.
And so you can appreciate the major scheduling that was involved so we could see everyone in a short amount of time, and basically try to be in two places at one time {which we kind of pulled off by having Randy and Marcus fly down the second day so they could be at their football tournament and work while I drove down for the reception}, I've put these pictures in the order they happened.
I got to see my cute and amazing Grandma who flew out from Boise.  When I'm a grandma I hope to be just like her.
Walking home from a soccer game and waiting for Randy and Marcus to fly in.
Time to Trunk-or-Treat with the Avengers




Cheryl, me, and Thamina - BYU roommates forever!!



My aunts, cousin, and Grandma smiling at the cutest Captain America ever
Picnic lunch with my Okinawa neighbor Angie.  One of the nicest people I have ever met!
Marcus reunited with Andrew.  They were best of friends in Oki and it made me so happy to see them hit it off again.
Back at Cheryl's we had a couple hours of boy fun which meant an epic Nerf gun battle

Another Oki reunion, this time with the Wilson's.  Another great family who had a huge impact on us while living in Oki. The boys played football while Joy and I talked.

Wish I'd gotten a pic of the 4 adults sitting by the pool talking up a storm while kids ran back and forth between pool and hot tub

The next morning we took the boys to Arlington Cemetery and the Iwo Jima Memorial before meeting Joy at the Smithsonian

Our future fighter pilot

Relaxing over lunch while Joy and I talked and talked some more

The only shot of all of us together minus Scott who had to go back to work


The National Museum of Natural History
After saying goodbye to the Wilson's we went to Theodore Roosevelt Memorial Island
The boys spent their evenings in Lego Land - an entire room dedicated to nothing but Lego building
The next morning we hiked around Ball's Bluff - a civil war site, while Randy had a job interview

the leaves were beautiful

Saying goodbye - our new motto is "Three is for quitters!"

3 comments:

  1. Wow! That made me tired just looking at all those pictures and trying to figure out how you did all that in one weekend! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That picture of your boys in their costumes needs to be framed. Marcus's face is priceless and Bean looks like he's ready for serious action (& Landon and Parker are just cute). Move to Utah so I can see them in real life next year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your pictures, Melanie!!! I am so proud of you for keeping up to date and wish that I had kept it up. The whole FB and Instagram have ruined my blogging... ;) Your boys are super lucky to have such an amazing mom. Their costumes are awesome too.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?