Saturday, June 27, 2015

The End of School in Rhode Island

Hooray!  School is finally out!  I have to say I am quite proud of us for enduring all the way until June 24th, especially because we endured it well.  Typically the boys completely melt down during the last several weeks of school, acting as though they've never had to get out the door ready and on time.  But this year we stayed strong until the end and it was a good feeling. 
Speaking of feelings, the last day of school brought on a whole wave of emotions ranging from sad to ecstatic.  Ethan was thrilled to be done, said a hilarious goodbye to his friends and is looking forward to starting a new year in a new home with new friends.  Marcus was sad to say goodbye to everyone for the last time.  He was trying very unsuccessfully to hold back the tears as he walked away from his school for the last time.  I'm so proud of him for adjusting to yet another new school {middle school even!}.  Although he knew some kids from his previous two years here, he pretty much had to start over because he didn't know anyone in his class or his lunch period.  It was hard and sometimes he cried at night over it but now he has a bunch of friends.  He told me he hugged his two best buds, Abner and Nick, and all three of them cried. 
It breaks my heart and makes me so excited to move back to WA knowing this is potentially the last time I have to move my kids now that we're done with the military life.  I am not cut out for it and stand in awe of all the military families who continue to relocate their families time and time again.  We've already started the process of goodbyes where we squeeze in as many people and as much fun as possible knowing each item we check off our list brings us closer to the day we leave for good.  I hate it. 
But at the same time I wouldn't change any of it.  I love all the people we've met, all the friends who have changed our lives.  I love that my kids are adventurous, confident, and adaptable.  I love the places we've gotten to see and the new things we've experienced and explored.  I'm pretty sure a panic attack is going to set in when we get to WA and I realize it is the final stop.  The grand finale.  The place where we set down permanent roots.  It's going to be a BIG adjustment but hopefully a good one.
Our traditional last day of school pancakes


Bean poking fun of Marcus for being sad on the last day

So proud of this boy!

This boy is done with preschool and counting down the days until kindergarten. 
Landon's preschool graduation

Ethan's end of year picnic

Showing Parker the playground

Goodbye Peacedale Elementary

Our traditional end of school party

Water balloon volleyball - throwback to my youth
We haven't wasted a second.  After celebrating the end of school we cleaned the house to welcome my bestie/BYU roommate Cheryl and her family.  We've started the summer off right with several beach trips and a few sunburned shoulders.  Summer has begun!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?