Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Defying the Odds



Marcus is currently playing three sports right now.  He's defying the odds, or should I say genetics, by being really good at them too.  I know I've said this before but I can't say it enough.  Randy and I are not athletic.  At least not as far as team sports go so to see our son out on the field not only participating but contributing still leaves me in shock. 


Marcus and the relay runners
Right now the biggest shock factor is at track.  Marcus is running the hurdles and 100 meter and 200 meter relays.  I never understood how track meets work until now but basically only the fastest runners/teams contribute to the total points scored.  The rest of the runners are just out there to run for fun and winning or losing affect the overall team score.  Well, Marcus is one of the runners who "matters."  Another jaw dropping realization.  The downside to this is that the track meets are four hours long and we have to be there pretty much the whole time to watch him in all his events.  Oh, and he also does the high jump and set a personal record of 4'1" last week.  Not sure how that ranks but it's certainly higher than anything I could clear.



Marcus is #4
He's also in the middle of lacrosse season and he has discovered a love for this unfamiliar sport.  If you know nothing about this game, let me just tell you what it's like from my perspective.  If you have the ball people start chasing you down and beating you with sticks.  It's kind of hilarious to me actually.  Marcus is really fast {they call him Ferrari because he has a red stick} so when he gets the ball he can barrel his way down the field with kids and sticks flying everywhere.  It's like running through a gauntlet.  




Marcus just recently tried out for one of the soccer clubs and made the team.  He hasn't played serious soccer in a long time because RI soccer was always on Sunday but the teams he's on doesn't have any Sunday games.  Hooray!  There were over a hundred kids trying out for two teams of 13 players and Marcus made one of the teams.  He's pretty excited.  I'm dreading the time commitment and the fact that fall soccer means no football for him.  Obviously football is a much better sport from a spectator's standpoint but oh well.  Ethan is playing football so at least I'll have fun watching him.
Soccer tryouts in the pouring rain

Landon is almost finished with spring soccer coached by Randy and Marcus.  If Landon doesn't score at least three goals per game he thinks he had a bad game.  I told him most kids never score and to not worry about it and he just looked at me like I'm a dumb girl who doesn't know what she's talking about.  He's probably right!

He doesn't need to wear glasses for sports but he's convinced his aim is off without them.  Grrrr!

The handsome coaches

These soccer goals get a lot of use at our house

Randy coaching his team to victory!  Actually no one keeps score but they don't need to.  The Red Dragons dominate every time.


Are you seeing how tall this kid is?  Ok, I'm not tall but the point is he's my size which seems big to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?