Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Not your Typical Sunday Afternoon

Some things are too good to go unmentioned so I must share this fantastic experience I had with my boys.  It was a Sunday afternoon which I typically don't love.  Usually all I want to do is take a nap and all they want to do is watch TV.  If I let them watch TV then eventually they go stir-crazy and need to burn off some energy and if the weather doesn't allow them to go outside things get really crazy really fast.  So I dread Sunday afternoons.  Well, this particular Sunday was like all the others.  Randy was working on scout stuff, we had just finished our 1-hour of Quiet Time (boys have to stay in their rooms for one hour doing whatever they want that doesn't involve technology while I read/nap) and I was trying to come up with something we could do.  I was inspired.  Seriously pure divine inspiration gave me the idea to watch the old musical Seven Brides for Seven Brothers with my boys.  It's not something they would ever choose to watch but because it was a Sunday I could make them do it because they were just happy I was letting them watch TV.  And the musical is wholesome and perfect for a quiet Sunday afternoon.  Also, I've only seen it once years ago but I told the boys it's about a bunch of brothers who kidnap girls so they can get married.  That got their attention fast!  Well, we watched it and all the boys loved it.  Marcus was slightly disturbed/surprised by the things that were allowed back then (ie wholesome people offering passersby tobacco and finding a wife just to be used as a housekeeper), and the other boys loved all the dancing and fighting scenes.  It was so fun to laugh together as we watched it.  Eventually Randy joined us too.  I love that I found a way to watch something unmanly with them.  Their wives will thank me one day.  Talk about well-rounded young men!
Landon didn't even know I was taking his picture and you can just barely see Ethan grinning away at the screen

1 comment:

  1. oh my heck! this exact thing happened at my house a few weeks ago! they all loved it and now walk around the house singing the songs. SCORE!!!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?